Do you like discovering great new music? Of course you do. Check out what I’ve been listening to lately.
I’ll take music over TV almost any day. While Netflix is a common go-to when I’m bored or stressed, just watching a screen often allows for distractions. I’ll become disengaged and begin thinking about all of the other things I should be doing: applying for more jobs, doing laundry/dishes, writing a new blog post…. These intrusive thoughts often interrupt “How I Met Your Mother” episodes, but they disappear as soon as I turn to a book or some good music.
Since I’ve already done a post about the former, I’ll now share my (often complimented) taste in the latter. Grab your favorite pair of headphones and check out these anthems of my summer.
- First, an upbeat little diddy I’m sure most of you have heard already. It’s easy to sing along with – your typical pop song, but thankfully less repetitive than most. If you haven’t yet, please enjoy “Once In A While” by Timeflies.
2. Next, let’s move to MØ (pronounced “moo” from what I gather). She’s a relative newcomer, but you probably know her vocals from Major Lazer’s “Lean On.”Here is her newest single. I’ll just say I’m in love with her sound and I’m glad “Final Song” is just the title and not an announcement.
Check out her other work here.
3. Slowing things down a little, let’s turn to Drake and Rihanna. I used to not be a huge fan of either, but Anti and Views both changed my mind. There isn’t a music video yet, but do yourself a favor and listen to the smoothness of the pair’s “Too Good” by clicking here.
4. Now we have one of my favorite bands of all time: The 1975. I don’t use the word ‘favorite’ lightly: I typically only like a couple songs off of an album, but Matty’s outstanding lyrics (I could go on but I won’t for now) and the band’s unique style have won my dedication as a fan. Here is “A Change of Heart.”
5. Tove Lo is another artist who can no wrong, musically-speaking. I can’t think of any song she’s been a part of that I don’t like. Her original work is amazing, and I think she bumps up the quality of artists who feature her. Here’s her latest collaboration, “Say It” by Flume.
Do yourself yet another favor and check out her other work here.
6. Most of you may recognize AlunaGeorge’s vocals from DJ Snake’s remix of “You Know You Like It.” Here’s a dance track that sounds like summer to me. Jam out to the duo’s “I’m In Control.”
7. Seven is a lucky number (and I could use a little luck right now) so I’ll end this post here. This last track has been making waves for its unique ‘chorus.’ I absolutely love this song. If you haven’t heard it – where have you been? If you have, enjoy it here again: Kiiara and her hit “Gold.”
Music often reminds us of certain pieces of our lives. I’m excited to be able to make a record of the music currently impacting this complicated, post-grad time in my life. Some day I will look back at this entry and relive Summer ’16 through these songs.
For now I hope you will enjoy these new sounds, or amp up your summer with this music if you already know it.
Let me know what your songs of Summer 16′ are and follow me on Spotify to keep updated with my playlist of favorites: “Deez Jams.”
*Disclaimer: top photo of The 1975 (by NIALL LEA/NME) and photo of Drake and Rihanna (by Roc Nation) are not mine, but are being used under Fair Use*